My small collection of Android FOSS applications I use on my daily Android GSI smartphone. Keep in mind that some apps are listed as alternatives, which I may have disabled or are simply inactive for whatever reason. The list was mainly created because people constantly wanted to know what I use.
My goal is to provide a small, but usable app list of that you actually can use in the real-world as daily runners.
- v2.0 - 14.10.2022 - Obtainium mentioned.
- v1.9 - 19.08.2022 - Sushi - Personal Finance app added + new section added, also ViMusic added under YouTube
- v1.8 - 02.08.2022 - Threema replaced with Threema Libre, R.I.P. Dino
- v1.7 - 27.07.2022 - Switched to Howl Offline Music Player.
- v1.6 - 10.07.2022 - Data Wiping section added. Vinyl Music Player replaced with APlayer. Barinsta removed, as the project got archived.
- v1.5 - 13.02.2022 - Replaced Monocles with Dino as it supports fully OMEMO with Audio and Video. Omega launcher replaced with Discreet Launcher.
- v1.4 - 11.11.2021 - Zettel Notes under Markdown added
- v1.3 - 07.11.2021 - RSS section added
- v1.2 - 04.11.2021 - Small changes
- v1.1 - 25.10.2021 - Public Release
- v1.0 - 13.10.2021 - First Draft
- ☐ Keep maintaining this list and update it whenever I change something.
- ☐ Better sorting, maybe.
- Add headings to the categories, so that you can link it.
- I need to sort the categories and maybe add links, or you just open Aurora Store and type it in manually.
- Aegis Authenticator - I think it is one of the best 2FA apps you can use on Android.
I often call them clown stores because it is like a circus sometimes.
Aurora Droid Aurora Store Droid-ify Neo Store Sideloading script trough G. Proxy. + RSS-Feed to get update notifications. Read this to understand why I am not really an F-Droid fan.
I usually read PDFs on a tablet, however Mangas are more the rare exceptions these days. But the following apps can be used universally to read Mangas, PDFs etc.
- Openreads to track what I already read.
- Tachiyomi – Replaced the two application with a better, all-in-one app. There is also an interesting extension for it called MangaSee.
- At home you can block unknown callers, international or spam numbers with your FRITZ!Box with some clicks.
If possible I do not even take my smartphone with me.
- PilferShush Jammer - To block microphone access, which is useful if you leave the phone in the open.
I have all 3 installed, dunno why.
- Zettel Notes is a cool app for Markdown with GPG encryption and even webdav sync support.
- Nheko – Desktop client for Matrix using Qt and C++17. I switched back to the official Element app on mobile due to the fact that every fork is behind, security and feature wise.
- KDE Connect for computer-from/to-phone internet file sharing. It even comes preinstalled on some Linux Distros.
- DroidShows – TV series browser and tracker.
- AFWall+ mainly use only AFWall or via Androids own firewall
- Rethink DNS + Firewall, for testing some DNS stuff
- InviZible Pro - I know it is not a firewall but I put it under this section.
- obsqr – Fastest and most lightweight qr code reader, afaik the best one with the most features and regularly gets updated.
The last time I used SMS was years ago, so it does not play much of a role for me.
Shelter via Magisk Storage IsolationI do not install unknown apps and I review the code so I do not need it anymore. Nothing left to isolate which is not already isolated within Androids own security mechanism.
I never used the app but have it installed, weird…
I rarely use it but sometimes it can be useful for eg. testing.
- ImgurViewer for opening reddit/imgur/other image links without invasive tracking
- link eye can be useful sometimes
- GreenTooth to set Bluetooth to disable after you have used it, this is really useful.
- Plug Off Airplane
- Amaze - I use this one right-now.
- MiXplorer - Not FOSS but there is no real alternative, feature wise.
I do not need it since I only share pictures in .png who do not contain any metadata except time. Metadata cleaning apps are pretty much pointless if you use a privacy oriented camera app that includes an option to opt-in and opt-out into geo-location data embedding…
Forecastie- I use it when I am in Swiss, since I moved to Germany I prefer Tiny Weather German because it supports Gadgetbridge.
- Tiny Weather German